Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you obtain a death certificate?

How do you obtain a death certificate? 13 Sep 2008 17:41 #122

• andygaus
Because I'm donating my body to a medical school, I don't need to make arrangements about embalming or caskets or cremation. But my executor will need a death certificate to deal with the bank, shut off utilities, and so on.

Anybody know what the process of getting a death certificate for me will entail?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How do you obtain a death certificate? 13 Sep 2008 18:11 #123

Your attending physician, or the last doctor (or Medical Examiner) to see you will sign the death certificate. If you use a funeral home to transport the body to medical school, the funeral director will fill out the rest and file it. If the medical school does all the paperwork and transport, they will file it.

In either case, your executor should talk to either the funeral director, or the medical school, to get a copy. He/she can also get a certified copy by going to the dept. of vital statistics in the county/town in which the death occurred. He/she will need to bring proof of executorship.

Hope this helps.

Josh Slocum
Executive Director
FCA
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice