Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to reduce the cost of funeral?

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 20 Jun 2009 01:42 #238

Local FCA affiliates are excellent resources for funeral home information. To locate a California affiliate nearest you, click on FIND A LOCAL FCA found at the top of this web page.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 21 Jun 2009 21:27 #239

• sophiawilliam83
Excellent reply. Thanks Edmcham.

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 24 Jun 2009 23:01 #246

• sophiawilliam83
I fond the website, who provides information on Funeral Homes, Funeral Services and Cremation Services in US and Canada. They have listed US and Canada funeral homes information with contact details and I collect the information from them website which I am looking for.

I am also thankful to all of you my dear for your help.

Sophia

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 25 Jun 2009 16:20 #247

==========
Cite from sophiawilliams83 post of 2009/06/25 04:01

I fond the website, who provides information on Funeral Homes, Funeral Services < www.allfuneralhomes.com/ > and Cremation Services in US and Canada. They have listed US and Canada funeral homes information with contact details and I collect the information from them website which I am looking for.
==========

Here are three additional links to funeral home/services directories:

www.fsnfuneralhomes.com/

www.us-funerals.com/funeral-homes.html

www.funeralhomes.com/go/listing/Home

Do not accept any online funeral home/services directory as an authoritative source of current and/or correct information. Based on past experiences, I find that these directories may not list all funeral homes in a specific area. I often find funeral homes still listed years after the funeral home went out-of-business or changed ownership. Think telephone YELLOW PAGES. These sites have all the markings of FTD florist shops soliciting business.

Consider funeral home/services directories as just another source of information awaiting verification. I have no problems with "free private enterprise," but keep in mind that funeral home web sites are sales pitches - SELL THEM THE SIZZLE, NOT THE STEAK. It is rare that funeral home web sites will list prices. To get factual information, the consumer must do comparison shopping by visiting or contacting the funeral home in person. The Federal Trade Commission FUNERAL RULE requires funeral homes to give you without charge a copy of their GENERAL PRICE LIST when requested in your personal visit. The FUNERAL RULE also requires funeral homes to quote prices to you in your telephone call.

Your state agency regulating funeral homes should also have a list of all funeral homes which can be requested through a Public Information or Freedom of Information request. Contact your specific state agency.

Comparison shopping for funeral home services is the same as shopping for a frig at Sear's. SHOP BEFORE YOU DROP!!

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 18 Feb 2010 08:08 #308

Typically the most expensive parts are the casket and the burial slot in the cemetary. Cremation is much cheaper and you can still have the same type of "farewell" or "celebration" service as you can with a casket style funeral.

Re:How to reduce the cost of funeral? 04 Mar 2010 12:56 #313

• Lonhro
In my experience (lost 2 grandparents and 2 aunts in the past 18 months, so ALOT of experience in funerals), the main cost of the funeral has come from the Funeral Director trying to (and nearly always being successful at) 'upselling' to the relatives. When Nonna died, the Lady Funeral Director was extremely pushy to Pop, making him spend far more than I personally believe was warranted. I recall hearing her bring up the question of Flowers, saying 'what was your wifes favourite flower ..... we can get the biggest bunch of white roses for your wife, that will show her just how much you loved her'. The flowers alone for Nonna's funeral was $950. I am sure Nonna would have preferred that money be donated to a charity or something.

And the casket too - geez, Pop spent $4500 on it after my mother was originally looking at $800 with him (he got scammed into buying one with all the bells and whistles on it). All up, Pop spent close to $10000 on Nonna's funeral with one of the large Funeral Homes.

A friend of mine put my wife onto a website service called Happyending.com.au
This is a unique website, where you actually record and plan your own funeral. May sound morbid at first, but it's actually very clever, because you nominate family members to have access to your record - so if/when you die, they know exactly how you want your funeral structured and arranged. It's not pre paid or anything, so the family still have the option to ignore the wishes and do their own thing, but it makes alot of the more emotional decisions (such as what to dress the deceased in, who they want to invite, who not to invite etc) easier to deal with, as the deceased has actually already recorded this information.

Hope this helps others out there,

:lol:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice