Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cremation Urns

Cremation Urns 30 Jun 2009 23:20 #250

• mauiclay
Hello, Im an artist new to the cremation urn business but not new to making beautiful artistic urns and was just browsing for forums related to funerals. I just wanted to start a topic on cremation urns and get peoples thoughts and ideas on what types of urns they are looking for when in need, and how important is it that its artistic and one of a kind?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Cremation Urns 20 Aug 2009 09:25 #280

I love artist urns (www.funeria.com) but I, and a lot of people on this list, are generally looking for less expensive options. If you could fill that niche, that would be nice.

Re:Cremation Urns 20 Aug 2009 11:46 #286

Have you checked www.PerfectMemorials.com/Urns

Valerie

Re:Cremation Urns 20 Aug 2009 11:54 #287

Try www.inthelighturns.com/
Use the link for Urns Under $100, they also say Free Shipping

I've been doing some online research to purchase an urn for my mother's ashes.

Valerie

Re:Cremation Urns (Things to consider) 20 Aug 2009 12:29 #288

Cremations have become very popular due to the minimal cost. I, for one, prefer to keep something from my past for each person, and would willingly store and display remains of family members forever, passing them down generation to generation. Some people might find that morbid, but I find it comforting. LOL I even have one friend who stores her father on the top shelf in the closet, and every year on his birthday, she calls her sister and they sing Happy Birthday to him. I'm not one to judge whether that is insane or healthy, but I really like it and find it comforting.

Something to consider when choosing an urn or storage container is construction. I have some friends who chose glass urns, which turned out to be a mistake. It feels awful when a guest or friend or even you drop the urn and it breaks. Then someone has to clean up the ash, purchase another container and place the ashes inside the new one. That can be traumatic. My best friend purchased a beautiful wooden photo container with inscription and, one day, a friend of hers was looking at it and dropped it. It was struck on the corner against a marble floor. The case split open at the seam and ashes fell out. The guest thought it was just a memorial nicknack and had no idea it was actually her mother's remains. This happened only days after the funeral and was shocking to both.

First of all, consider the type of container you would like to purchase. There are many urns online at many websites. Just type "cheap cremation urn" in your search line and dozens will pop up. Look for urns under $100 or close outs or discounts or specials.

Second, I would recommend placing the ashes in freezer quality (thick) gallon size ziplock bags, doubled, rather than the bag given to you, it may even take more than one doubled bag for all the ashes. Then leave the remains in the sealed bags and place them in your purchased container or urn. This is what we did with my friends mother so that if she was dropped again, there would be no spillage. This is certainly a very good idea when it comes to the decorative glass urns. Check out the urn opening size to be sure the bags can be slipped in. Sometimes people will divide up the ashes among family members with each having a display urn. You can use smaller freezer quality bags, doubled for that. Sometimes most of the ashes are spread and only a small amount is kept. Whatever comforts you is always the right thing.

Third, no one says it has to be a cremation urn. Any ornamental urn or box can become your resting place for ash remains. A friend of mine enjoyed working with wood, and made his own engraved wooden box for his father, and then sealed it permanently and proudly displayed it.

Fourth, you can also try something unique. There is a group who will crush the ashes into a diamond and engrave it with tiny letters of the name and death/birth date right on the diamond, then set it in a ring or necklace to pass down to future generations. I really like that idea. It cost around $2,000. I hope to have enough funds at the time to press most of my mother's ashes into a diamond for a necklace, while keeping a small amount for a memorial urn. I know it's an extravangance, but the idea was just very appealing to me. One friend of mine placed his father's ashes in shot gun shells. He had nearly 100 of them. And every now and then, he would take dad hunting with him, because his dad liked to hunt. He'd carry two of the shells and go duck hunting. I found that rather amusing and comforting at the same time. Another friend had his dad's ashes sealed in a large size custom made beer can which he sets out when family has a get-together. I found that a bit disrespectful but each to his own *grin*. The family was okay with it.

Take extra care in choosing your container especially if you mean for it to last another lifetime and/or be passed down to other generations.

I'd also like to suggest that such items be kept within the family, possibly under the care of the person who has the most interest in genealogy. I have traced our family tree back to 1776 in the USA, and beyond that to Germany and Ireland. I have become the collector of all the family photos over the generations from current to the 1800s. Therefore, I plan to pass down the genealogy cds, original photos and cremation remains to a family member who will continue my work and carry on with preserving the family history. Just something else to consider - think about what will happen to the cremation remains after you pass on.

Valerie

Re:Cremation Urns 02 Sep 2010 22:21 #388

• tumbleweed
Something to consider mauiclay, if you still follow the forum, many families want to "reproduce" an identical urn for another family member. Is that within the scope of your artistry?........ Good luck.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds