Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much?

A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 00:17 #274

I am wondering what the very basic funeral would cost today and what it would include. We prepayed a funeral, with everything including the rental of a large room for viewing and service and a light green metal casket, fifteen years ago for the price $4,000. At that time my father had many friends and we wanted to make sure every one had an opportunity to say good bye. Now, all my father's friends have pre-deceased him. It's only a few family members left. We went to the funeral home to break down the costs and eliminate any extras and we were told that if we exchanged our current package for even the most basic funeral, we would have to pay more today than our prepaid cost already was. All we need is is the body taken care of and prepared for burial in a very cheap casket and then his service and burial is free through the Veterans. Did they tell us the truth or can we eliminate all the extras, get a full refund and pay less for a basic, no frills or service other than the free veterans graveside, wood box coffin funeral. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 05:10 #275

You have given the best reason for NOT prepaying a funeral service. Folks in Texas would be experiencing the same dilemma if the funeral service had been prepaid.

For consumer options available to Nevada residents, I suggest you contact the local Nevada FCA affiliate. Contact information is listed on the national FCA web site at ..........

www.funerals.org/affiliates-directory#NV
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011 19:59 by edmcham. Reason: clarity

Re:A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 06:09 #276

Someone from NV should be able to guide you best, but basically it depends on how NV state statutes read and when they were enacted. If your contract pre-dates any pre-need contracts then you are probably SOL. A very basic DIY funeral and burial can be had for from perhaps $500 (or even less) up to a couple thousand depending on whether dad was a vet and you want to bury him in a vet cemetery for free. (Which I highly recommend- they are great cemeteries)
As far as getting a refund for the pre-need that's a toss-up also depending again on the dates and state statutes. At best you will get hit with a "service charge".
John

Re:A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 08:41 #277

Please contact the Nevada affiliate

www.funerals.org/affiliates/Nevada
Funeral Consumers Alliance of Nevada
Box 8413, Univ. Sta.
Reno, NV 89507-8413
775-329-7705
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

and see if they can help you with the specifics of Nevada state law on whether your money can be refunded. If so, then you can shop around and find a better price (FCA Nevada should be able to help with that also).

It looks like you could get the money back:

NRS 689.345 Prepaid contracts: Net purchase price to be available on termination by buyer, estate or heirs. The net purchase price of the preneed contract shall be available to the buyer or his estate or heirs at any time prior to performing the service described in the preneed contract upon written notice to the seller and trustee of the intent of the buyer or his estate or heirs to terminate the preneed contract and withdraw trust funds attributable to the buyer.

(Added to NRS by 1971, 1400)

NRS 689.355 Prepaid contracts: Termination by buyer.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, if the buyer moves to another geographic area beyond the normal facilities of the seller and performers under the prepaid contract, the contract automatically terminates upon the buyer’s written notice to the seller and trustee of his move and of his desire to terminate the contract. The trustee, as soon as reasonably possible after receipt of the notice, shall refund to the buyer all money in the trust fund, including earned interest, held for the buyer’s account.

2. If the contract continues in force and the buyer is not in default thereunder, upon the demise of the contract beneficiary, the contract automatically terminates. Upon termination, the seller shall refund to the buyer or to his representative or estate, or transfer to a substituted performer, if any, all money paid on the contract.

(Added to NRS by 1971, 1400; A 1987, 1268; 2001, 2216)

Re:A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 10:44 #281

I called the Nevada phone number you listed for assistance. An answering machine picked up and said leave3 a message - however, I was unable to leave a message because it stated the message logs were full. Perhaps this number is no longer servicable. Is there another?

Valerie

Re:A Very Basic Funeral Today - How Much? 20 Aug 2009 10:57 #282

I am attempting an email for contact to the Nevada Division since the phone is not accepting messages. I hope I'll get a response through an email.

Valerie
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice