Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No Money Left

No Money Left 20 Aug 2010 08:04 #364

As my brother-in-law has been diagnosed terminal I have the dubious honor of taking care of his funeral. I do know he wishes to be cremated and the ashes set to sea. However, there is absolutely no money to be found for this. He is dying without owning a thing of value. Does anyone out there know of a free cremation service for such people?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:No Money Left 20 Aug 2010 09:17 #365

REPLY FROM FCA FORUM MODERATOR

Only under limited circumstances are free cremations available. The following link describes what is available for this situation in Dallas [TEXAS] County. Not certain where you live, but this may give you some ideas. I also suggest that you check out funeral homes in your area, explaining there is no money available. My guess is that funeral directors will know the options possible in your situation.

==========

DISPOSITION WITH LITTLE OR NO MONEY

When even direct cremation is beyond your means, your best bet is to contact your county medical examiners office. Generally, they should be able to direct you to disposition arrangements that are provided at public expense. These arrangements may not be palatable, for example Dallas County [TEXAS] offers a choice of:

MORE AT ..........

http://tinyurl.com/2cf3yra

Re:No Money Left 20 Aug 2010 09:29 #366

I live in a somewhat rural town so there is not a nearby medical school to donate so maybe the county medical office will have a suggestion. Thanks for replying to my post. It will work out somehow.

Re:No Money Left 20 Aug 2010 09:48 #367

Could you provide more info about your brother? For instance if he's a vet with a discharge (except for dishonorable) he can be buried free in a real Vet cemetery. If that's the case and you want me to locate the nearest one, let me know (also where you are in TX) I don't recall exactly but Texas may be one of the 45 states a family can perform all the funeral functions. If you want a casket you can build your own for $50-$100 ($100 if you coat it with laminate flooring)

Re:No Money Left-ps 20 Aug 2010 09:50 #368

I mentioned burial because that saves the cost of the cremation (assuming he's a Vet)

Re:No Money Left-ps 20 Aug 2010 10:06 #369

Unfortunately not. When I say this guy has nothing, I mean absolutely zero. I am presently searching this web site for low cost, nearby providers. Thanks again for your reply. By the way, I am extremely pleased with the info this site has to offer. Great web site and great forum response. Thanks again. End of Posts
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds