Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SimpleCremation.us?

SimpleCremation.us? 07 Feb 2011 08:14 #445

I find myself in the unique position of planning my own cremation. I have esophageal cancer, 95% fatal, and only a couple months left. I contacted many cremation places locally and their fees were $1400 to $1700 for simple creamtion, cardboard box for body, transport/handling of body, cardboard urn box, no serives or frills. That's exactly what I want, but I also left call backs at several online websites that say they service the Las Vegas area. Affordable Cremations was just $895 for everything except tax and death cretificates and they use a local funeral home that wanted to charge $1400. I saw www.SimpleCremations.us that offer same for $400 but it is prepaid online which concerns me. Has anyone had dealings with this group? Can it be trusted? Are there other groups that do simple cremaitons using the local facilities for much less than the local homes? I also saw DFS Memorial offering cremation starting at $695 using a local home, but when I speak to them will get the standard that does not include the box, remains holder, etc. or are those standard? Our finances will be in total disarray by the time I need the cremation, and are not very good now considering my husband has been out of work for two years due to Las Vegas' crushing economy. We will pay for this out of our income tax refund and of course, I want to leave as much as possible in our accounts for my husband to care for our two-year-old. Is $895 the cheapest I can go? The $400 sounds perfect. but is it realistic?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds