Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monument Company Selection

Re: Monument Company Selection 04 Dec 2011 10:33 #695

Delivery time for a marker or stone can be a real frustration. My family member had to wait and wait -- when she'd call, the company would say they were unclear of a detail, though all was specified. I seem to remember she tried to use their artist at first but was very disappointed in the renderings, so ended up providing the artwork herself to the company. I've seen other stories through the years of markers that did not meet expectations. The advice to make sure you review the contract thoroughly is important.

I'll add that I was at a national monument/ park this week and the quotations on the granite stones had eroded to the point of unreadability. Such a shame. I'm not sure how old these particular stones are, but I'm guessing the early 1980's based on the date for moving into the facility; but another section along that walk was added in the early 2000's. Surely granite carving should last that long without such deterioration. So I'd sure ask the company about longevity of any engraving.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Monument Company Selection 04 Dec 2011 11:15 #696

• bradwbrock
Excellent advice, Amanda. Thanks. I am a couple thousand miles away from the cemetery, but I plenty of family nearby to work on them. I really appreciate the real-life experiences.

Re: Monument Company Selection 04 Dec 2011 11:25 #697

• bradwbrock
Let's try and be polite and not call someone's comments nonsense. You have no idea what type of monument I was discussing with the vendor. A case in point is the recent dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. statue in Washington DC. This was carved in China to save money. My plans are no where near so grandiose, but there is indeed a breakeven point somewhere between a square granite marker with a name etched on it and that statue where it becomes less expensive to ship it from China. I have no idea where that breakeven point is; I only say that this vendor has some of his carving and sourcing done there and then ships it here.

Re: Monument Company Selection 04 Dec 2011 22:44 #701

bradwbrock wrote:
Let's try and be polite and not call someone's comments nonsense. You have no idea what type of monument I was discussing with the vendor. A case in point is the recent dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. statue in Washington DC. This was carved in China to save money. My plans are no where near so grandiose, but there is indeed a breakeven point somewhere between a square granite marker with a name etched on it and that statue where it becomes less expensive to ship it from China. I have no idea where that breakeven point is; I only say that this vendor has some of his carving and sourcing done there and then ships it here.

Okay; not nonsense but not realistic. How many of us common consumers of funeral products are going to buy a Martin Luther King sized monument. You're referencing one vendor out of how many thousands? That at least borders on nonsense (formerly referred to as "poppycock" or "balderdash")
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds