Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using your own casket, Shop made

Using your own casket, Shop made 26 Apr 2012 08:52 #718

Newby to this site.
I am a woodworker. It is what I do for a living, mostly I build tables and custom furniture. (no cabinets)

A very dear friend is dying from DSCRT cancer, he is 9. I have built a casket for him. His parents have received quotes where they have told the cemetery people that they would be using their own custom built casket. They have been told that the casket must meet "California Standards". I don't seem to be able to find these "standards".

Any advice or help in finding the correct info would be greatly appreciated.

Don Juvet
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Using your own casket, Shop made 26 Apr 2012 11:40 #721

Hi Don,

You can't find the standards because there are none-no state in the US even requires a casket for burial, let alone one made to specific standards. What the cemetery may be referring to is the standard size of the concrete vault they require to surround the casket in the grave. You'll need to make sure your casket is sized such that it will fit, but I can't see how this would be a problem with a coffin for a 9-year-old.

As you and your friends investigate this further it's a good idea to keep a notebook and write down *exactly* what the funeral and cemetery people tell you. Miscommunication and misinterpretation is easy in this fraught transaction.

How sad for you and the family.

Take care,

Josh Slocum
FCA exec. director
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds