Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: unresponsive salesperson at monument company

unresponsive salesperson at monument company 29 May 2012 20:40 #734

We have given a down payment to a monument company in Philadelphia to make up a family stone and a grave marker for my dad. The woman who is our salesperson keeps screwing up the sketches for the stones. We have gone back and forth with her several times. She does not call, when she says she will; she does not email correct sketches of what we want on the stones in a timely manner. Does anyone have any suggestions for what we should do about this? The funeral industry is so outrageous!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: unresponsive salesperson at monument company 30 May 2012 09:08 #735

Have you asked for your deposit back? Sounds like a company you don't want to do business with. Write down the problems you've had, including dates and times of messages left, etc. Bring this with you when you go to the manager/owner of the business and ask for your money back.

Re: unresponsive salesperson at monument company 31 May 2012 08:02 #736

• Amanda
Hi jud1013,

Unfortunately monument companies can sometimes cause more headaches than the planning and cost of the funeral/memorial service.

My first reaction to what you have written is to follow the advice of Irpjak - cancel this order and try to get your deposit back. If the company is having this much trouble in providing sketches and keeping in contact with you (the beginning of this process and frankly the "easy part") it will likely only get worse. The key here is documentation. In addition to writing down your problems with dates and times, print the emails (esp. the ones where incorrect sketches were sent to you) and have them when you talk with the manager/owner. Also carefully document all contact with them from this point forward. It helps if your conversations with the management are principally by email - this way you have their promises and statements in writing since things can get a little hairy when asking for money back.

I also stress the importance of documentation because you state you're buying a family stone as well as a grave marker and there is a good chance the deposit is not an insignificant amount of money. If the owner refuses to return the deposit you may wish to pursue legal action, at which time this documentation will be a great asset. However, it will hopefully not come to this. I think the sooner you state you wish to cancel your order the more likely the monument company will be to comply, especially if the owner has not yet ordered the stone.

I wrote a post a while ago on what I learned (the hard way!) about choosing a monument company that may be of use to you in choosing a new company when you're ready:

Re: Monument Company Selection
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds