Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advocacy -- for what?

Advocacy -- for what? 14 Aug 2008 17:15 #115

• mver
  • Web-ster and Volunteer
All right, just for a moment, let's assume the legislature is out of town, that the regulators are on summer break, and we FCA-ers are idling the time away.

So when activity picks up again, what's broken that needs our energy to fix it?

I mean, beyond the usual run of problems in the funeral industry: upselling, not quite telling the whole story---you know, all the things we get complaints about regularly.

I.e. I mean what policies or laws, or regulations would we want to advocate and lobby for in the political arena?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Advocacy -- for what? 30 Nov 2011 19:01 #669

mver wrote:
All right, just for a moment, let's assume the legislature is out of town, that the regulators are on summer break, and we FCA-ers are idling the time away.

So when activity picks up again, what's broken that needs our energy to fix it?

I mean, beyond the usual run of problems in the funeral industry: upselling, not quite telling the whole story---you know, all the things we get complaints about regularly.

I.e. I mean what policies or laws, or regulations would we want to advocate and lobby for in the political arena?

Advocate for changing laws in states that DO NOT allow casket stores to be operated by a member of the general public. There is no reason, in my opinion, that a funeral home license, or funeral director's license must be required to sell a casket to the public.

My business partner testified on behalf of a casket store wanting to sell caskets in Oklahoma. He is a licensed funeral director, but sees no reason the public should NOT be able to buy from a casket store owned by anyone, and testified to that effect.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice