Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Death Certificate Efficiency

Death Certificate Efficiency 19 Jan 2009 03:43 #185

• mver
  • Web-ster and Volunteer
Death certificates in North Carolina are currently prepared and processed by hand up the administrative chain all the way to storage of the originals in a secure vault.

Funeral Consumers Alliance of the Triangle board member Glenn Cutler was formerly state registrar and director of Vital Records in North Carolina. He says the time has come to automate this process, with benefits of improved accuracy, data summarization, and timely delivery of certified copies to persons needing them.

Thus electronic data entry would occur when the certificate is originated and continue through electronic signature authorization all the way to final image storage.

Mr. Cutler published a complete opinion piece on this in the Asheville Citizen-Times

Folks elsewehre might want to check out the process in their states and nudge it if that is needed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Death Certificate Efficiency 20 Jan 2009 08:46 #188

• northstar73
  • Licensed Embalmer and Funeral Director
Thanks to some federal requirements, death certificates are now somewhat standardized among states. I do not mean they are formatted the same, but they now obtain the same basic data. This little detail means that many of the funeral homes using funeral software on their computer will be capable of integrating their software with electronic submission.

To really understand how inefficient the current process is, take a look at the process for death certificates (DC's):

1. Gather data from family and forms.
2. Transfer data (typically to type it) onto an official DC.
3. Mail or hand deliver the DC to the doctor. Depending on the state, doctors have anywhere from 3 to 7 days to complete and sign it.
4. Retrieve or have mailed back the DC from the doctor so it can be rechecked for errors (believe it or not, most DR's do not know how to properly complete a DC)
5. Mail or hand deliver the DC to the Register of Deeds/Health Department's Office in the county OF DEATH.
6. Wait for County Office to record the original, digitally image it into the computer, and then issue the certified copies of the DC that were requested.
7. Retrieve or have mailed back the certified copies of the DC.
8. Contact the family and arrange for pickup or delivery of certified copies of the DC.

Now compare that to an automated process:
1. Funeral director logs into a website and inputs deceased's personal information then electronically signs off.
2. Dr. logs into a website and inputs medical information then electronically signs off.
3. County office records when two parts are complete and submitted, prints copies, and certifies them.
4. Copies are retrieved from office or mailed to funeral home or family.

Upgrading this system is long overdue...
"Show...

Re:Death Certificate Efficiency 18 Jun 2009 11:16 #233

• angie
Help! loss my 17yr old daughter in a car accident on 3/30/09. her body was not identified by any family members and we were not allowed to see her prior to creamation. soon to be 3 mos. still dont have a death certificate. talk to the funeral home they send me to the coroner she sends me to the court house, week after week its the same thing "hasnt been filed yet". i wondered if a body could even be creamated w/o a dc. whats the normal on the dc, why am i tracking it down...thought it would come in the mail but when? i need some advice

Re:Death Certificate Efficiency 30 Jun 2009 20:48 #249

• christopherderek80
Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your daughter. My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow. I think you have to contact a funeral director for the same. They will better assist you in your difficult time.

Christopher

Re:Death Certificate Efficiency 01 Jul 2009 15:40 #251

• mver
  • Web-ster and Volunteer
christopherderek80 wrote:
Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your daughter. My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow. I think you have to contact a funeral director for the same. They will better assist you in your difficult time.
Christopher

Well, yes and no. Yes, when a f.d. has been hired to handle a burial or cremation one of the conventional services is procuring the death certificate. However-1, d.c.'s must be signed by a physician or other accepted medical authority in the state in question. IOW, state laws vary. However-2, f.d.'s have little or no power to force a signature.

So now the question is: What is the audit trail on the certificate: who started filling it out? What information missing, if any? Who was it sent to? Who has it now, etc. With answers (and dates) for such questions you may deduce what and where the problem rests.

BTW: In N.C., no cremation is allowed w/o two items of paperwork, one of which is a signed death certficate; other states may differ.

Re:Death Certificate Efficiency 01 Jul 2009 20:46 #252

• christopherderek80
I am back to you with your questions answers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice