Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hospital protocols and family-directed funerals

Hospital protocols and family-directed funerals 19 Jan 2009 03:56 #186

• mver
  • Web-ster and Volunteer
[The text below is a re-posting, with the author's permission, of material that appeared on the FCA discussion email list on 6 January 2009]
[The issue is the process by which bodies are released to funeral directors or to families by hospitals (or other institutions where a death has occurred)]
Here's something I wish I had the time to pursue right now, but maybe it will catch the fancy of someone on this listserv....

Over the holidays, my husband and I had a large family gathering in my home that included the head of internal medicine for Walter Reed Army Medical Center (husband to a first cousin of mine). I got to talking to him about FCA and home funerals, and I brought up my concern that the hospitals in our area do not have protocols established for releasing bodies to family members who want to serve as their own funeral directors. He was sympathetic and had a GREAT idea -- find someone who knows someone at the Joint Commission -- www.jointcommission.org/ -- which does accreditation for hospitals and other medical facilities and get the Joint Commission to write a sample hospital protocol on this subject. He said, "Position it as a human rights issue, if you can, and you'll get more support." Then, as we funeral consumer advocates work with our local hospitals, we can point them to the Joint Commission's sample protocol, which he said is the most credible source for hospital protocols.

Anybody know anybody? Anybody want to take on a great assignment?
Holly Stevens
FCA of the Piedmont (North Carolina)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds