Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Burial on Private Land, New Mexico

Burial on Private Land, New Mexico 12 Jun 2010 09:58 #337

• Edwina Hewett
As and individual and a member of a county planning and zoning board that is considering regulation of home burial on private land in New Mexico I am looking for information regarding such activities. Does New Mexico regulate burial on private land located wtihin the county areas? What concerns should a county planning and zoning board consider in creation of an ordinance? Any and all input would be greatly appreciate.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Burial on Private Land, New Mexico 15 Jun 2010 08:17 #338

RESPONSES

Burial on Private Land, New Mexico - FCA Forum

I ran your inquiry through the Deathcare Discussion List and received the following responses.

==========

I am aware that burial on private lands (particularly ranches) is a fairly common practice in Socorro County, NM. If there is permitting involved, I've not heard of it.

I would be interested in knowing which county P&Z is considering such an ordinance.

==========

All I can find in a quick search of the state laws is:

30-12-14. Unlawful burial.

Unlawful burial consists of the using of any land or lands as a burial place of interment within fifty yards from either side of the bank or border of any stream, river or any body of water, by a person or persons, society of persons, order, corporation or corporations.

Whoever commits unlawful burial is guilty of a misdemeanor.

There may be local regs, or I may have missed something, but it looks to me like the statute is pretty non-existent when it comes to burial on private land. Certainly the general practice around here would suggest that.

==========

You'll probably need to check local ordinances also, even if your state doesn't otherwise prohibit burial on one's own land. One source: www.municode.com , then click on library tab, then your state, then the applicable county or town. Then play around with key words such as: burial, grave, cemetery

Incorporated towns and cities tend to have more restrictions than rural areas.

Rural areas may have regulations regarding how far from existing cemeteries a sewer or septic system can be placed, and it's wise to flip those regulations around. Lisa Carlson has some general tips to follow including making a record on your deed.

Sometimes the county health department folks know but there's no substitute for doing your own research.

==========

As Holly mentioned, I recommend 150 ft. from a water supply and 25 ft. from a power line or neighbor's boundary. For some reason, I couldn't respond to the poster on that blog.

==========

Prior arrangements must be made with the county clerk's office to record a map designating the burial site. Burial must be 50 yards from a stream or other body of water and five feet from the property line; minimum depth is six feet.

==========

You may wish to post your inquiry to the Deathcare Discussion List.

TO JOIN:

SEND EMAIL TO: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

SUBJECT LINE: include the word GAZELLE

MESSAGE WINDOW: leave blank
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds