Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Un-needed Plots

Un-needed Plots 16 Nov 2010 06:29 #409

I am not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, if not I apologise.
My parents recently "graduated" and the family found that they had purchased Burial Plots 40 years ago in an Orlando Florida Cemetery. Sometime in that 40 years they purchased Cremation Packages and we complied with those wishes. Now we have these plots and wonder how best to sell them, the people at Woodlawn were not helpful with any type of resale. I feel "odd" going to Craigslist or Ebay...is that really the only options? Thank you for any help or suggestions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Un-needed Plots 16 Nov 2010 07:34 #410

Hi there,

Lots of people are in your position with unneeded graves. With the cremation rate rising, it may be difficult to sell them, but here's what I suggest:

1. Look online for sites that do classified listings for cemetery lots. finalarrangementsnetwork.com is one such site, and there are many others.

2. Craigslist is actually a good idea.

3. Consider an ad in the local newspaper.

4. Consider donating the graves to a church, synagogue, or mosque to be used for a poor family. In most cases, you can deduct the value of the grave off your taxes.

Good luck.

Re:Un-needed Plots 16 Nov 2010 11:50 #414

There are lots of options. I have no idea how good they are, but these came up first in a quick search:
www.finalarrangementsnetwork.com
buyandsellcemeteryplots.com
www.plotexchange.com
www.thecemeteryregistry.com
Craig's List is an option and there are a bunvh for sale on ebay!

Re:Un-needed Plots 17 Nov 2010 20:38 #418

I'll second Josh's suggestion that you consider donating them to a local charity for indigent burial. The tax write-off might be worth enough to you to make it worthwhile, and there's some peace in knowing that you've helped some less fortunate folks with their last but unattainable wishes.

Re:Un-needed Plots 10 Aug 2011 01:59 #512

• Stimmer
You can also do another thing that sell the property their by hedging it. I mean, on the behalf of that property , you can buy the new one here where you are right now.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds