Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cemetery Records (general inquiry)

Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 30 Jun 2011 05:06 #466

• kristin_seitz
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me whether or not cemeteries are required to keep information (i.e. who paid for plot, next of kin, what funeral home brought the body)? Are there any regulations at all?

I appreciate ANY assistance at all. Thank you everyone.

Kristin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 30 Jun 2011 16:47 #467

• Mitchell
Good question. There may be other good answers to this question but this is one way to see it: Cemetery regulations vary from state to state. In my state (Utah) there is no state regulation, no licensure, not even bundling cemetery issues with the funeral licensing Board. The state law is that each city regulates the cemeteries.

For you this should be searchable online. First go to your state website and do a keyword search of the law (sometimes called code or statute) then whatever entity it says regulates cemeteries go to that entities website (a city or county or licensing agency) then I would do a keyword or category search there.

Re:Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 05 Jul 2011 08:07 #479

• kristin_seitz
Thank you so much for the information. :)

Re:Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 05 Jul 2011 18:16 #483

What state are you in ? I can check our new book "Final Rights" to see if the regs are listed there. Mitchell gives some good guidance on looking up the code if the new book doesn't carry it.

Re:Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 06 Jul 2011 08:06 #485

• kristin_seitz
I am in Michigan. Thank you so much!!

Re: Cemetery Records (general inquiry) 08 Jul 2011 14:58 #487

Hi Kristin,

The MI statutes don't get into this kind of detail about record-keeping, and the state's Website is down right now so I can't check the administrative regulations just yet.

It would help to know what your goal is; there may be ways to get to it that don't require all those details to be in the law or regs. What's your situation?

Josh Slocum
Exec. Director
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds