Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ?

Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ? 25 Nov 2011 19:58 #649

• DonC
Hi Folks,

I am making preparations to be buried on our land in Missouri when the time comes. I believe I have done all my homework. The practice is regulated by our County. There are few requirements; establish a family cemetery, notify the County Coroner at the time of burial. Here's where we a running into a possible snag, we want to build a crypt. I cannot find any regulations or standards for designing one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The local funeral director indicates that there are "all kind of requirements". Unfortunately he can't specify any or tell me where to go for information. Can anyone direct me to rules or standards for above ground crypts in Missouri?

Thanks

Don
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ? 27 Nov 2011 20:33 #655

I suggest you contact the following with your question:

FCA of Greater Kansas City

Web Site Contact Info: www.funeralskc.org/?page_id=15

Re: Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ? 30 Nov 2011 13:17 #665

A crypt is usually very expensive if you build it of granite or permanent materials.

There are companies that will build them for you.

Personally, I'd be afraid of the "security" issues. Underground burial is more secure than above ground burial. There are unfortunately, still grave robbers in this world. And a private mausoleum could be easily vandalized.

I wanted (at one time) to be entombed in an above ground crypt in a mausoleum, but decided cremation would be better. My remains could never be bothered, as long as I'm cremated and scattered in a place known only to my family and God.

Re: Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ? 04 Dec 2011 18:20 #700

Florida is one state that has "all kinds of requirements." Others like Missouri do not. Here are the critical factors to consider when designing the crypt.

The floor of the crypt should slope to the back with a provision for drainage into a gravel pit under the soil. Ideally, there should be some form of ventilation for the crypt.

If you used a sealed metal casket, it is likely to rust out over time and leak out goo into the crypt. Hence the need for a drain. There are Tyvek-type enclosures that come with a tray of absorbant material like Ensur-a-seal that you could use to contain that process.

If it's a wood casket, it is more likely to "breath," letting the body dehydrate naturally. Some cemeteries even prop the casket open slightly to speed the dehydration process.

I wouldn't worry about the security issues if there are ways to lock the door if you have doors or if the front panel is securely bolted on.

Re: Burial on family property in Missouri Crypts ? 05 Dec 2011 10:34 #705

Front panels on crypts only require a sledgehammer blow to reduce them to bits and pieces, allowing criminals that vandalize crypts access to the remains.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds