Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Funeral Continuing Education Courses

Re:Funeral Continuing Education Courses 14 Sep 2010 07:24 #402

• northstar73
  • Licensed Embalmer and Funeral Director
How about a topic on dealing with cremation inquiries? Here is what I mean.

Pick a funeral home out of the phone book. Call them and ask for a price on burial. 10:1 odds say they will quote you their "Traditional" service charge then tell you about casket, vault, cash advances, tax, etc... Wait 30 minutes, call back, and now ask about cremation. 10:1 odds again that they start with the price of a DIRECT cremation, sometimes failing to disclose necessary fees like permits, cremation containers, or even crematory fees in an effort to keep their price as low as possible.

Most funeral homes offer three levels of service: Full, limited, and basic. Consider full services to be "traditional" service (viewing, service, etc), limited to be graveside or memorial services, and basic to be immediate burial or direct cremation. Why do funeral directors still start at FULL service when quoting burials then switch to BASIC when quoting cremations? As a profession, we continue to do ourselves and the families who call upon us a disservice by treating cremation as we do, and until we treat it with the same courtesy and dare I say, respect, as traditional burials, we will never educate anyone as to the options that both burial and cremation offer.

I would be honored to assist in planning and developing this class if you would like more input.

-NS
"Show...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Funeral Continuing Education Courses 21 Sep 2010 04:12 #403

Hello!

Thanks so much! That is a great idea!
We are now in the process of discussing different ideas for new courses that we would like to launch in about 6 months.

How about you email me your contact information so when we are ready we can plan this course together.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Thanks!
Jodydasz

Jody...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: pshaughnessy
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds