Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: No Money Left

Re:No Money Left 21 Aug 2010 02:42 #370


Check out the following 501(c)(3) foundation which offers free cremation with return of the cremated remains to the family for subjects qualifying for anatomical donation. There is a lot of info on their web site plus a toll free number to call to explain your specific situation.

LifeLegacy Foundation

Home Page: http://www.lifelegacy.org/

Contact Info:

888-774-4438 toll free

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots.
You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LifeLegacy Foundation
6825 East Outlook Drive
Tucson, Arizona 85756
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:No Money Left 21 Aug 2010 05:56 #371

Thanks for replying. I have submitted an application to them and keeping my fingers crossed. Thaks again
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:No Money Left-ps 22 Aug 2010 03:16 #372

  • tumbleweed
  • tumbleweed's Avatar
Sorry for your loss --- He should have $255 in social security benifits for disposition. Contact the nearest creamation society and the county medical examiner/coroner where he lives (lived)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:No Money Left-ps 30 Nov 2011 20:35 #673

In Oklahoma, you can force the County to pay a funeral home for the cremation/burial if no one "claims" the remains. But, you don't get your choice between burial or cremation. It is the County and the servicing funeral home's choice.

This means not contacting or talking to anyone in the industry or the Medical Examiner's office or the Coroner, or the funeral home. You must stay away from the whole situation, and if you do, the remains will almost always be considered "indigent" and unclaimed, and therefore elegible for the state to legally take control of and be responsible for the disposition.

Some states donate these remains for medical research, and after they are "researched", they are cremated and the ashes are stored in case someone comes forward to claim them. Sometimes the ashes are scattered after "research". You'll just have to ask a funeral home in your state what happens if someone is unclaimed after death.

Some states will still bury the deceased if they are indigent or their next of kin cannot be contacted.

If the deceased is cremated, you can find out which funeral home handled the cremation from buying a copy of the Death Certificate, and then you can almost always claim the ashes, tell them you were out of the country when this happened, and if you can prove yourself or someone else is next of kin, they will usually be glad to give you the ashes. They don't want to be stuck holding unclaimed cremated remains, and they can't demand payment from you either, because they have been paid by the government in full.

You can also buy a copy of the Death Certificate, and it will tell you where the deceased was buried, or to which organization a body donation was made. Then you can follow up.

It works this way in Texas and Florida and Oklahoma, so ask around and find out if it works this way in your state. Just be discreet when the time of death occurs.

P.S. Most funeral homes wish no one knew this....the government pays very little. They may not be forthcoming with details. If that's the case, piece together the process in your state by calling several funeral homes and asking.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds