Funeral Consumers Alliance

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Discussion Forum and Mailing List

The FCA has created online forums to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas and experiences among funeral consumers. Note that you must be a registered user of the site in order to post to the forum threads. To register, visit our home page and click "create an account" on the lower left-hand corner. There's also a Help section in the forums you can click on below.

For those who want a more detailed discussion with funeral consumer advocates and concerned industry people, try our email-based discussion list. To join the list, email: join-deathcare@hades.listmoms.netNOTE! - you must put the word gazelle in the subject line (this cuts down on spam-bots trying to join the list).

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: repossessed headstone

repossessed headstone 17 Sep 2011 20:45 #554

• dawnajo
My mother died 10 years ago, prior to her death, she prepaid for her headstone, casket and vault. Her headstone was a double one that would also contain my step fathers name upon his death. The headstone has been on her grave for 10 years. A year ago my step father died and was buried beside my mother. His funeral services were done at the at the same place he was buried at. My step fathers funeral expenses have not been paid yet, they are in probate court still. Well the funeral home went and removed the headstone from my mothers grave because my step fathers expenses remain unpaid. I am very distraught over this. Can they legally take my mothers headstone, that was paid for 11 years ago, due to the unpaid expenses on my step father? There is no marker of any kind, marking my mothers grave, just dirt and grass. This has me very upset, please help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: repossessed headstone 19 Sep 2011 19:18 #555

In what state? I would file a complaint with the state Funeral Board, the Consumer Protection Office in the Attorney General's Office, and the Better Business Bureau, with a copy to the funeral home and copies to FCA and FEO. If you e-mail me directly, I can get you the contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: repossessed headstone 30 Nov 2011 19:16 #670

dawnajo wrote:
My mother died 10 years ago, prior to her death, she prepaid for her headstone, casket and vault. Her headstone was a double one that would also contain my step fathers name upon his death. The headstone has been on her grave for 10 years. A year ago my step father died and was buried beside my mother. His funeral services were done at the at the same place he was buried at. My step fathers funeral expenses have not been paid yet, they are in probate court still. Well the funeral home went and removed the headstone from my mothers grave because my step fathers expenses remain unpaid. I am very distraught over this. Can they legally take my mothers headstone, that was paid for 11 years ago, due to the unpaid expenses on my step father? There is no marker of any kind, marking my mothers grave, just dirt and grass. This has me very upset, please help.

If you are sure that they haven't removed the headstone to add your father's date of birth/death, then they would probably don't have the right to remove it, assuming you can prove it's paid for....then it belongs to you, not them. Cemeteries seem to be excessively egregious about what they can "get away with" because families don't know their rights.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

CAN'T AFFORD THE FUNERAL? We can show you how to bring the bill down significantly. Click here for advice