First, a few words from our sponsor:
Hello, my name is the Grim Reaper. You may recognize me from my various appearances over the decades, most recently at your local funeral home. Studies show that 10 out of 10 Americans will be affected by Cessation of Life Syndrome, or CLS, at some point in their lives (usually at the end). Yet most families won’t talk about it.
You or a loved one may be at risk for complications from CLS if:
- You think it’s “morbid” to plan ahead
- You make nervous jokes about “putting me in box and throwing me out on the curb” and end the conversation without making actual plans
- You find yourself talking about CLS in the subjunctive mood: “Just in case anything should ever happen to me.”
As a founding member of Funeral Consumers Alliance, I know how helpful the organization can be. That’s why I worked with them to develop Before I Go: You Should Know. This funeral planning kit has space to record all your important information so that those you love will know what to do when CLS becomes a reality for your family.
PLANNING KIT FACTS:
- There is no need to ask your undertaker; funeral planning is right for you.
- Kit may be filled out on an empty stomach or after eating.
- Potency drops when kit is left in a file drawer. For maximum efficacy kit must be shared and talked about with friends and family today.
- Side effects may include organization, relief of worry, and a sense of smug superiority when thinking about that one cousin who never plans anything and makes every life event a catastrophe. Also she never returned that casserole dish.
Don’t delay, order today. Because I’M GOING TO GET YOU ALL MWAHAHAHA planning ahead is a gift of love.
Bonus tips—Having a hard time starting that conversation? There are complementary therapies that can help make Before I Go more effective.
- National Healthcare Decisions Day is April 16. Mark your calendar and make a date with the people who matter most to you to discuss your end-of-life wishes and to fill out advance medical directives.
- Caitlin Doughty’s latest video "Talking to your parents about death" solves all your existential family crises with cute plush toys.
Save the Date!
Our biennial conference will take place in Atlanta, Georgia, in June, 2016. We’ll have a firm date shortly, so be sure to check back at funerals.org/conference.
-Josh Slocum, executive director
Lots of FCA-affiliated organizations have questions about liability insurance. Do we need it? What if we get sued? Shouldn't every nonprofit have insurance?
The short answer to the last one is, “no,” but the reasons aren’t always straightforward. Let’s talk about:
- What liability and risk actually are and how to assess them
- The different types of insurance
- Weighing the cost of insurance against the actual risk